So, FanExpo is Saturday, and because I had to really rush my Amon costume at Hallowe’en, I’m going back and fixing some of the stuff I totally rushed. One of them is the mask, which I’m fixing up as best as I can with the time/energy I have at my disposal right now.
Things I am learning:
- Paperclay is insanely superior to Celluclay holy shit was I making my life miserable for no reason
- actually having the time to gessho/sand more than a couple times makes a huge difference to the texture
- when casting an asymmetrical face for a symmetrical mask, adjustments must be made or it looks really wonky
- my nose is like the exact opposite of Noatak’s, and trying to fit the mask’s nose around mine is a nightmare
So all that aside, I think it’s coming along pretty well — definitely closer to being on-model than it was last time. Nose is going to be a bit big, but the only way around that was going to be if I made the mask base like an inch thick and then sculpted out his features from that base, and I don’t really have the time or energy for that right now. So meh. Sure people will still recognize me. :P
I really wanted to make some awesome boots (had to rush them last time), but honestly I didn’t expect this fucking illness flare-up to last FOUR DAMNED MONTHS, so that’s off the table. I’ll fix them up a bit, but they’re still going to suck. I tried to go shopping for a good base shoe yesterday, and after being out for an hour, I pretty much folded in on myself and came home and crashed. >_<; Surviving this con is going to be…interesting.
- littlehealersenna likes this
- tehslowone said: I still think you’re going to be a fantablous! (yes thats a word) Amon/Noatak!
- cafait said: I hope it ends up being fun for you, you deserve props just for cosplaying such a difficult character. (Also I’m v. impressed with the detail and organization of the nose chart).
- turnonred said: Paperclay is the nectar of the cosplay gods. Also my face is asymmetrical so I have to make the mask the same or else it doesn’t lay right.
- disgruntledturtle likes this
- masksarehot posted this